Home Community Officers News Events Calendar Photo Gallery Membership Boating Info Contact Us

A Company limited by guarantee and registered in England. Registered No 1548777.     Vat No 203 9265 79.

Supporters of the

R.N.L.I

Warranted to fly a defaced ensign

Rochester Cruising Club A Boating and Social Club on the River Medway

Founded 1905

Version 2.05.1 261118

Founded in 1905, Rochester Cruising Club in our opinion, is the premier motor cruising club on the river Medway. The Club benefits from its superb location on the Esplanade just below the walls of the ancient Norman Castle, and within a few minutes walk of Rochester Cathedral and the quaint Dickensian High Street.


We have approximately 100 pontoon berths serviced with electricity and water, most accessible at all states of the tide, as is our diesel fuel pontoon. Our clubhouse incorporates a bar, dining and social area with dance floor. Changing rooms with showers are available on a 24 hour basis. Private parking space is provided within the grounds.


We provide an extensive social and cruising programme throughout the year including both coastal and inshore cruises, and up-river for those who prefer non-tidal cruising. We pride ourselves in providing a warm and accommodating welcome to visiting boaters. Our reputation in this regard enables us to enjoy reciprocal hospitality when cruising the waters of other boating clubs.


Rochester Cruising Club has occupied its present location since its formation in 1905. The first Commodore of the Club was Richard Wadhams, a Foreman Barge Builder, who worked for a local boatyard and is remembered for his part in constructing the "Susannah". She was reputedly the largest Bawley ever built on the River Medway.


RCC Club House (Rear View)In its early days, the club members congregated on a number of disused barges moored adjacent to what is now the Esplanade, until in 1937 members erected a shore based Clubhouse on land leased from the City of Rochester Council. This facility survived the damage inflicted during the Second World War up until 1974, when a new Clubhouse was officially opened.


2005, our Centenary Year, saw the official opening of an enlarged and modernised Clubhouse, which is capable of supporting a range of social activities for its ever increasing membership. Pontoon moorings, complete with electricity and water services, plus a Fuel Facility and Scrubbing Berth have been provided for the use of members.